9.12.08

Ink and spices on my fingers

Well, today we were re-fingerprinted. "Re-fingerprinted?" you ask. Yes. Did you know that one's fingerprints can expire with the U.S. Government? Well, they do. So, this morning, Rob and I trudged out into the snowy city to be re-inked. (That's adoption-speak for "re-fingerprinted.")

On the way home, we stopped at the Ethiopian Cottage Restaurant to see about some tej, honey wine. We walked into the empty joint and were welcomed by whom I assumed to be the owner. "Um. Uh. I am wondering if you could tell me where I could buy some tej or if I could buy a bottle from you. Um." I don't know why I was so nervous. "Of course." And we came to learn that he is from Gonder, on Lake Tana, which is a very important area for Orthodox Christians in Ethiopia. So much history! I am so glad that we stopped and made a connection with that man. On the way home we decided that we need to go back there more frequently.

And then we came home to prepare an Ethiopian dinner for some friends. I made mesir wat (lentil stew), doro wat (chicken stew), and even injera (bread, of the teff and wheat varieties). In so doing, I scented my fingers roasting, grinding, and mixing spices for berbere and garam masala. So tasty!

Here are some photos of the spice mixes and of grinding the teff into flour.



No comments: