2.8.08

Chocolate or vanilla? Chocolate and vanilla!

I just finished a book entitled I'm Chocolate, You're Vanilla (Raising Healthy Black and Biracial Children in a Race-Conscious World). It made me think a lot, and I believe that this thinking has really just begun again. I dealt with a lot of these ideas and problems while studying to be a teacher, but now the situation is different: I'm more personally involved in the race talk now. My biggest issue right now is culture. What parts of white culture and black culture are good to promote and how am I not a racist if I reject parts of another race's culture? But then, can an entire race have a single culture? I think not. And then there is Christian culture to consider. But what is that? And I can't say that I accept all or even most of what the United States would define as Christian culture. Shoo.

1 comment:

Ajenkstrio said...

Also interesting is that "Ethiopian" culture and US/Milwaukee "African-American" culture may have little or nothing in common and yet people observing your soon-to-be family won't think through that but expect you to inculcate "black" culture in your child. Appreciated the inclusion of "Christian" culture, too.