10.7.08

Ethiopians!

Today I taught a gardening class at an adult day care center. When I walked in, I saw two women whom I would have guessed to be Ethiopian. But I didn't say anything, because I wasn't sure. During the course of my talk, I mentioned how I had planted one of the plants (stachys) that I had brought to show because I thought that it was kid-friendly, and then I mentioned the adoption. When I was asked from where and told, one of the facilitators said, "We have two women that work here that are from Ethiopia. I'll go get them." We were introduced and made very brief small talk. That was it.

Then, an hour later, the phone rang. It was the facilitator from the center calling to say that she had talked more with one of the ladies and she wanted to invite us to an Ethiopian picnic this coming weekend. They have one once a year in a park near our house and we are quite welcome, even without an Ethiopian in our family yet. She's also offered to show us the coffee ceremony.

So, we have an in and I'm excited. More to follow, I'm sure.

No comments: