12.8.09

The last entry.

This blog was started, honestly, so that I did not have to answer the same questions over and over. It did not really turn out to help me in that way, but it became theraputic as the months of waiting continued. In addition, we now have a nice record of our journey to our son. Our son is now home and so this is my last entry. I'm sure that we will join the blogosphere again in the not too distant future, but probably under a title like: backtoethiopia.yada.yada. :)

People have asked about our trip. I really cannot tell about it, really, without getting very upset. Fortunately for you, Reader, you'll be spared my red face, popping veins, and frantic tears. (A huge sigh.)

I think that it's Rob Bell's writing style that aggravates me so, and here I am about to give him a nod. Ugh.

-The Bethany staff in Ethiopia is amazing. We were all so blessed by their hard work, passion, and care. Thank God for them! Please pray for them.
-The Ethiopians that we met were so hospitable. We stayed at Ethio Comfort Guesthouse and left in tears after the most informative and best coffee ceremony.

-Our son was very well taken care of in Ethiopia. Thank God!
-None of us (NONE OF US) does enough with all that we've been given. Yes, given. What we have... our time, money, everything, is not really ours! Give it back!
-Herds of goats ran in front of our taxi everyday, on side roads and on highways.

-Our sixteen hour flight home was not the nightmare that I had imagined it to be. Thank God! However, I do not want to take that flight again for at least a year. :)
-Our fruity, Ethiopian-American welcome home was just what we needed and wanted. Thanks Fs and K!
-A teenage boy offered me some of his meal, a meal that he needed and was given, to try to calm my tears.
-I loved the constant loud-speaker prayers from the neighborhood place of worship.

-Holy rain, Batman!
-Neither Rob nor I could get ourselves to take many photos of other-than-adoption-world Ethiopia. We snapped a few out of the car windows, but barely any at all. Here is one of our favorites:

-We have a very calm and happy baby boy. Oo! He is so cute!

-Rob tasted the meal pictured below twice, if you know what I mean! I think he may have ingested some kitfo "juice." Ulch.

-There are around 400 children in one orphanage that I was told about. That is ONE orphanage in ONE city in ONE country on ONE continent! There are too many children without homes. NOT ONE of these children asked for this situation or did anything to "deserve" the situation. We all need to do more!
-You should all sponsor a child or family through Yezelalem Minch or Esperanza Viva.
-God gave me the two things that I had been praying about for months regarding our trip. I do not deserve such blessings.
-All of the older kids, waiting for their families at the transition house, kissed Israel goodbye. So sweet!
-We had delicious guacamole and clearly homemade, wonderfully greasy chips at a Mexican restaurant in Ethiopia.
-What?!

I leave you here, Reader. We are now a family of three. Until the work of becoming four begins...

5 comments:

megan sanders said...

Thanks for the call to action, its easy to forget and good to be reminded. We are amazingly blessed and its too easy to take that for granted! I'll miss hearing about Israel but I hope you stay in touch in other ways! I'll continue praying for your family and hope you'll pray for mine. Good luck with new mommyhood! There is nothing in this world like it!

Ajenkstrio said...

All good things must come to an end? We have been thinking this as we bid farewell to things and people in Racine!

HollyMarie said...

I really enjoy your blog... LOL about the Rob Bell comment. Anyway, I'm sorry if you really do need to leave blogosphere until it's back to Ethiopia time. I say stay... stay and use it as therapy. :)

Deur said...

Great thoughts and comments! Hope you are well!

megan sanders said...

Just letting you know I think of you all often and pray you are well! I hope life with your little man is wonderful!